DPE recurrent training
Just back from DPE recurrent training. Here are a few things that come up on check rides and answers to questions I get several times a year.
1. Check rides can NOT be done in BATD or AATD. In order to use a "Flight Training Device" it must be a FTD Level 4 or higher and it must be part of a 141 or 142 training program.
2. DPE can not combine practical test (except the Private & instrument combo). So if you want to do a Commercial ASEL and AMEL together, we can't do that. They must be two separate check rides.
3. All Flight Instructor practical applicants must have at least a 3rd. Class Medical. Exceptions, Sport & Glider Instructors.
4. You don't have to have the paper knowledge test report with you if using IACRA.
5. All practical test must be completed within 60 DAYS of the start! There is an error in the regulations. One reg says 2 Calendar months and the other reg says 60 days. The FAA Legal said until the reg is corrected, the 60 day rule applies.
6. Several reports of missing log book endorcements and applicants not meeting FAR requirements for the rating they want. DPE's can NOT even start a check ride until all this stuff is up to speed.
7. Use of iPads or notebooks: They are acceptable but it is highly recommended to have a back up! DPE's can simulate a failure of these devices to see what you will do. (I've actually had iPads over heat on check rides. Good thing they both had paper back ups!)
8. If you have an Instrument rating on your Private or Commercial certificate and are applying for a Multi Engine rating, you MUST do the Instrument portion of the Multi Engine checkride.
1/2/2021 09:48:16 pm
I enjoyedd reading your post
Leave a Reply.